Healthcare's climate footprint. https://www.arup.com/perspectives/publications/research/section/healthcares-climate-footprint (accessed March 1, 2021).
- Estimate of the carbon footprint of the US health care sector.JAMA. 2009; 302: 1970-1972
- Environmental impacts of the U.S. Health Care System and effects on public health.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0157014
- Reducing pollution from the health care industry.JAMA. 2019; 322: 1043-1044https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2019.10823
- Costs associated with the management of waste from healthcare facilities: an analysis at national and site level.Waste Manag Res. 2018; 36: 39-47
- Burden and cost of gastrointestinal, liver, and pancreatic diseases in the United States: update 2018.Gastroenterology. 2019; 156 (.e11): 254-272
- Green endoscopy: a call for sustainability in the midst of COVID-19.Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020; 5: 636-638
Endoscopes market share & growth report, 2021-2028. https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/endoscopes-market (accessed Mar 15, 2021).
- National census of UK endoscopy services in 2019.Front Gastroenterol. 2020; (Published Online First)https://doi.org/10.1136/flgastro-2020-101538
- USPSTF recommends expansion of colorectal cancer screening.Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021; 6: 1
- Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the detection and management of colorectal cancer in England: a population-based study.Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021; 6: 199-208
- OAR. Greenhouse gas equivalencies calculator.2015 (Published Online First)(accessed Mar 15, 2021)
M+WasteCare - Mazzetti. https://wastecare.mazzetti.com/calculator (accessed Mar 15, 2021).
- Environmental impact of endoscopy: ‘scope’ of the problem.ACG. 2020; 115: 1931
- The environmental footprint of health care: a global assessment.Lancet Planet Health. 2020; 4: e271-e279
- Healthcare expenditure and carbon footprint in the USA: evidence from hidden cointegration approach.Eur J Health Econ. 2020; 21: 801-811
- Rates of infection after colonoscopy and osophagogastroduodenoscopy in ambulatory surgery centres in the USA.Gut. 2018; 67: 1626-1636
- Rate and impact of duodenoscope contamination: a systematic review and meta-analysis.EClinicalMedicine. 2020; 25100451
- One-stop shop for variceal surveillance: integration of unsedated ultrathin endoscopy into the routine clinic visit.Front Gastroenterol. 2021; (Published Online First)https://doi.org/10.1136/flgastro-2020-101680
- Steps of reprocessing and equipments.Clin Endosc. 2013; 46: 274-279
- Strategies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from laparoscopic surgery.Am J Public Health. 2018; 108: S158-S164
- How can individuals and the GI community reduce climate change?.Gastroenterology. 2020; 158: 14-17
- My approach to water-assisted colonoscopy.Front Gastroenterol. 2019; 10: 194-197
- Systematic review: the use of nitrous oxide gas for lower gastrointestinal endoscopy.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2010; 32: 324-333
- The carbon cost of an email – the carbon literacy project.2018(accessed Jun 6, 2021)
- The carbon footprint of distributed cloud storage.2018 (arXiv [cs.DC])
- On global electricity usage of communication technology: trends to 2030.Challenges. 2015; 6: 117-157
- Potentially inappropriate screening colonoscopy in Medicare patients: variation by physician and geographic region.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 542-550
- Prevention of overuse: a view on upper gastrointestinal endoscopy.World J Gastroenterol. 2019; 25: 178-189
- Digestive findings that do not require endoscopic surveillance – reducing the burden of care: European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) Position Statement.Endoscopy. 2020; 52: 491-497
- Performance of Baveno VI and Expanded Baveno VI criteria for excluding high-risk varices in patients with chronic liver diseases: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019; 17 (.e11): 1744-1755
- Accuracy of a no-biopsy approach for the diagnosis of coeliac disease across different adult cohorts.Gut. 2021; 70: 876-883https://doi.org/10.1136/gutjnl-2020-320913
- European Society for the Study of Coeliac Disease (ESsCD) guideline for coeliac disease and other gluten-related disorders.United Eur Gastroenterol J. 2019; 7: 583-613
- British Society of Gastroenterology/Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland/Public Health England post-polypectomy and post-colorectal cancer resection surveillance guidelines.Gut. 2020; 69: 201-223
- Real-life cost savings and capacity improvements on implementation of the new BSG post-polypectomy surveillance guideline.Clin Med. 2020; 20: 116-117
- Post-polypectomy colonoscopy surveillance: European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) Guideline – update 2020.Endoscopy. 2020; 52: 687-700https://doi.org/10.1055/a-1185-3109
- Audit of the impact of the York faecal calprotectin care pathway on colonoscopy activity.Front Gastroenterol. 2020; 11: 285-289
- Imaging alternatives to colonoscopy: CT colonography and colon capsule. European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) and European Society of Gastrointestinal and Abdominal Radiology (ESGAR) Guideline – update 2020.Endoscopy. 2020; 52: 1127-1141https://doi.org/10.1055/a-1258-4819
- Energy consumption analysis and characterization of healthcare facilities in the United States.Energies. 2019; 12: 3775https://doi.org/10.3390/en12193775
- Plastic Pollution.2018 (Our World in Data Published Online First)(accessed Mar 3, 2021)
- Great haste makes great waste: do available data support the widespread adoption of disposable endoscopes?.Gastrointest Endosc. 2020; 91: 404-405
- Coming round to recycling.BMJ. 2009; 338: b609
- Covid-19 plastic waste: U.K. hospitals are recycling disposable PPE.Forbes Mag. 2021https://www.forbes.com/sites/katherinehignett/2021/01/18/covid-19-plastic-waste-uk-hospitals-are-recycling-disposable-ppe/(accessed Jun 7, 2021)
- The 2018 report of the Lancet Countdown on health and climate change: shaping the health of nations for centuries to come.Lancet. 2018; 392: 2479-2514
Conflicts of Interest The authors have declared no conflicts of interests.
Author Contributions All authors contributed equally.
Ethical Statement The study did not require the approval of an institutional review board.